- Departments A - I
- Voter Information
Who May Register
Any person who is a Massachusetts resident, a United States citizen, and will be eighteen years old as of the next scheduled election, is eligible to vote. Citizens who are registering to vote for the 1st time in Massachusetts must provide a copy of their identification if registering by mail. If no ID is provided, they will be required to show proof of residency at the polling place on Election Day. When signing the registration form, you must attest, under the pains and penalties of perjury, that you are legally eligible to register and that the information you provide is accurate and truthful. The penalty for fraudulent registration increased recently to a fine of $10,000 or imprisonment for up to 5 years, or both.
How to Register
You must register to vote at least 10 days before any Town or State Election or Primary in order to be eligible to vote at the polls. You may register through one of the following ways:
- Online through the state's website at https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ovr/
- Print off a voter registration card and mail it to the Town Clerk, 116 Main St, South Hadley, MA 01075
- Visit the Town Clerk's Office in person during office hours and fill a voter registration form out
Where Do I Vote?
Effective with the Primary Election of September 14, 2010, all voting takes place at South Hadley High School, 153 Newton Street. Voters still vote by precinct, but all precincts vote at this site.
The Annual Town Election is normally on the 2nd Tuesday in April and is also held at South Hadley High School. For current information on the Town Election, see: https://www.southhadley.org/620/Elections.
You may also opt to vote by mail or absentee.
What Are My Congressional and State Voting Districts?
South Hadley is located in Hampshire County and is part of the following voting districts:
- South Hadley is in Massachusetts’ First Congressional District, which includes Berkshire County, Hampden County, and parts of Hampshire County, Franklin County, and Worcester County.
- South Hadley is in the Second Hampshire State Representative District, which includes Easthampton, Granby (Precinct 2), Hadley, and South Hadley.
- South Hadley is in the First Hampden, Hampshire and Worcester State Senate District *, which includes Belchertown, Chicopee (some precincts in Wards 2, 6, 8 and 9), East Longmeadow, Granby, Hampden, Longmeadow, Ludlow, Palmer, South Hadley, Springfield (some precincts in Wards 6 and 7), Warren, and Wilbraham.
- South Hadley is in the Northwestern District for District Attorney and the Eighth District for Governor’s Council.
*State redistricting enacted in November 2021 following the 2020 census resulted in changes to some Congressional, Senate, Council, and House districts in Massachusetts beginning with the 2022 state election cycle. As a result, in 2022 South Hadley leaves the Hampshire, Franklin, and Worcester State Senate District to become part of the First Hampden, Hampshire and Worcester District. South Hadley remains in the First Congressional District and the Second Hampshire State Representative District.
For more information about all districts: https://www.sec.state.ma.us/ele/eledist/distidx.htm