Marriage License

Before you get started

In order to obtain a marriage license, you must first file marriage intention paperwork with the Town Clerk. Any couple can file marriage intention paperwork, as long as each person is 18 or older and not already married. You do not need to be a South Hadley resident, but you must be getting married in Massachusetts. The license cannot be used out of state.

Please note: 

  • Marriage licenses are valid for 60 days from the date of filing your marriage intention paperwork. 
  • There is a mandatory 3-day waiting period before you can pick your license up, unless you apply for a "Marriage Without Delay" court form (information linked below). 

Step 1: Come to Town Hall

You and your intended spouse must apply together and in person in the Town Clerk's Office. Walk-ins are accepted during our office hours, but we recommend calling ahead at 413-538-5030, ext. 6183.

When you apply, you will need to bring valid IDs for proof of age, as well as $25 (cash or check) for the filing fee. 

In order to fill out the marriage intention paperwork, you must know the following information:

  • Your current legal name and what last name you will use after marriage
  • Your current address
  • Your dates of birth and where you were born
  • The current legal names of your parents (including middle names), their maiden last names, and if they were married at the time of your births
  • Your social security number (if you do not have one, you will write down why) 

Step 2: Pick up Your Marriage License

You will be able to pick up your marriage license after the mandatory 3-day wait period. You must get your license before the ceremony and give it to the person performing the ceremony. The license can be picked up by either applicant during our regular office hours.

Step 3: Return Your Marriage License

In order for us to register your marriage, your officiant must complete the marriage license and the license must be returned to the Town Clerk's Office located at 116 Main St, South Hadley, MA 01075. This can be done in person or via mail. 

Once we receive your marriage license, we can then issue a certified copy of your marriage certificate. They are $10 per copy. Click here to learn more about obtaining a certified copy.

State Resources

  1. Town Clerk

    Physical Address
    116 Main Street
    Room M11
    South Hadley, MA 01075

    Phone: 413-538-5030 ext 6183
    Fax: 413-538-7565


    Monday through Thursday
    8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

    8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.