Master Plan - August 2010
Creating the Master Plan
In the fall of 2007, South Hadley began work on its first Comprehensive Plan in 30 years. The consulting firm of VHB, Inc. was hired to assist the community in this effort using funds appropriated by Town Meeting. With input from the firm, the Planning Board appointed the Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee (CPAC) in November / December 2007 and charged this committee to draft the plan with the professional assistance of VHB, Inc. and the Town Planner.
Over the ensuing 24 months, the 16 members of this committee held many meetings with local / regional officials, local businesses and residents. Their work has come to fruition with the formulation of this recommended Comprehensive Plan. CPAC submitted their recommended plan to the Planning Board on Tuesday, November 17, 2009. Subsequently, the Planning Board initiated a 6-month review of the plan and made numerous edits - typically with the active participation of CPAC members.
The Planning Board held a public hearing on Monday, June 28, 2010, at 7 p.m. which began the public comment phase of the plan review / adoption process. Beginning at the public hearing and through August 16, 2010, the Planning Board accepted public comment on the proposed Master Plan.
Following review of the public comments received on the proposed Master Plan, the Planning Board made several changes to the proposed document. At their meeting on Monday, August 30, 2010, the Planning Board, by unanimous vote, adopted the Master Plan as revised. The September 15, 2010, Special Town Meeting Warrant includes an article asking Town Meeting to endorse this Master Plan.
As a Master Plan is a document that must guide the community but also be guided by the community, the adopted Master Plan includes a process for ongoing reviewing and monitoring. Thus, public comments are always appreciated. Accordingly, the Master Plan, as adopted, is provided in the links below for your review and comment. Comments may be emailed to Richard Harris.
This page provides information about the plan, its development and means by which the community can have input into the document and monitor progress towards its implementation. While a link is provided to the VHB-maintained website, that link is principal to provide access to various background materials.
- Introduction and Vision (PDF)
- Chapter 1 Land Use and Community Design (PDF)
- Chapter 2 Economic Development (PDF)
- Chapter 3 Municipal Facilities and Services (PDF)
- Chapter 4 Open Space and Recreation (PDF)
- Chapter 5 Natural Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 6 Historic and Cultural Resources (PDF)
- Chapter 7 Housing (PDF)
- Chapter 8 Transportation and Transit (PDF)
- Figure 7-1 Existing Conditions (PDF)
- Figure 7-2 Pedestrian and Bicycle Ways (PDF)
- Figure 7-3 Transportation Opportunities (PDF)
- Implementation Program (PDF)
- Implementation Program Matrix (PDF)
- Map 1 Regional Overview (PDF)
- Map 2 Land Use (PDF)
- Map 3 Zoning Map (PDF)
- Map 4 South Hadley Falls and Floodplain (PDF)
- Map 5 Development Constraints (PDF)
- Map 6 Permitted Developments (PDF)
- Map 7 Economic Development Focus Areas (PDF)
- Map 8 Municipal Facilities and Services (PDF)
- Map 9 Mount Holyoke College (PDF)
- Map 10 Water Resources (PDF)
- Map 11 Conservation and Recreation Areas (PDF)
- Map 12 Historic Sites and Areas (PDF)