Animal Control

South Hadley Animal Response Protocol

Animal Control Officer

If there is an animal that is exhibiting erratic behavior, or suspected to be rabid, contact the South Hadley Police Department at 413-538-8231 or 911 for emergencies.

If there are dog concerns (i.e., excessive barking, unleashed, unlicensed) contact the Animal Control Officer at 538-8231.

Note: ACO and the Public Health Department are no longer required to pick up dead birds for West Nile Virus testing.

Property Owners

Animal Control or Department of Public Works (DPW) does not remove deceased animals from private property. You can call a licensed professional or if you dispose of it yourself, avoid using bare hands. Gloves or an inverted plastic bag will work to place the animal in a garbage bag. Dispose of the animal with your routine trash.

Please be aware wild animals on private property are the responsibility of the homeowner/property owner to remove. The South Hadley Police Department, DPW or the Animal Control Officer will not remove wildlife from private property. It is recommended that homeowners/property owners contact a wildlife control specialist to assist with the removal of wildlife.

Department of Public Works

If there is a dead animal in the road or in the tree belt, contact the DPW at 413-538-5030 ext 6500. DPW will respond Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.